Gambling has been a part of many cultures around the world, India being one of them. So it was never a stretch to assume that online gambling would gain popularity as well.
This was proven true when online gambling took the world by storm. 2020 was really the year when plenty of casinos and other gambling operators opened up for their digital doors for Indian players
India has a population of well over a billion people, and so the Indian market is highly interesting for the casinos.
But is online casino legal in India?
What does the public gambling act say about online gambling activities?
Is there a loophole that online casinos use?
The short answer is yes, online gambling in India is legal, as well as online casino. As there is currently no federal law that prohibits or considers it. But there’s more to it, so keep reading!
Table Of Content
Is Online Casino legal in India?
Yet there are no laws that apply to online casinos that operate in India. As we mentioned in the very beginning of the article, there are no federal laws what’s so ever that takes online casinos in India under consideration. Which plain and simple makes them legal in India.
There are several options available for casino games and sites. They all offer Indian rupees and it’s safe to say that not a single Indian has ever been convicted for playing at online casinos.
What’s illegal then and why are some many Indians asking themselves if online casinos in India are legal or not? Simply because land based casinos are illegal in India outside the states of Sikkim and Goa. We are no lawyers, but the loophole is quite clear here. If you feel like gamble online, see some of the best online casinos below.
The Quick Growth of the Online Gambling Market In India
The Indian gambling market worth has been stated to be around in billions of dollars from the period of 2008-2019. With so many new players showing interest for online casino as well as betting, its growth is expected to rise to even more. The global online gambling market is expected to eventually, reach 60 billion US dollars in a few years.
Based on a report published by the Indian Commission, the current Indian market of around $360 million will reach $1 billion by the end of 2021. This is happening, not only in India but across the whole world.
Covid 19 has pushed the growth even further since players who normally play at land-based venues in Sikkim or Goa now seek after online options.
This has also awakened a debate among politicians and fellow Indians, discussing a potential licencing for the online casinos.
Online Gambling Regulations in India?
There is second to none regulations made for online gambling. This, despite the increasing popularity. The legislation that exists is outdated, and there haven’t been any changes made since we even received internet in India!
There are no attempts being made at the legal level to clarify things. The legalities have been discussed in multiple regions to no avail. In addition, gambling laws included at both federal and state-level has left people further confused.
Various state governments at the state level have regulated selective aspects of landbased gambling such as slot machines and casino games. Yet, online casinos have not even been mentioned in any of the gambling acts.
As we know, online casino and betting are different from traditional casinos in Sikkim.
The Indian Gambling Market
The Indian gambling market has been divided into three main parts: online skill-based games, game of chance and a hybrid of those two. Gambling is considered similar to the former skilled-based games in Indian laws and regulations. The topics of gambling and online betting have been included in the subject-matter for the 7th schedule in the constitution.
Web-based gaming requires a license to operate in several states under the guidelines of “Games of Skill”. The guidelines are provided by The Gambling Act of 1867.
Yet no proper instructions are indicating if they are legal or not. Let’s have a closer look at the three parts that are discussed in the public gambling act.
Game of Skill
Games of skill include: Poker, betting, Rummy
Game of Chance
Game of Chance include: Casino and Lottery
Game of Chance & Skill
Game of Chance and skill include: Roulette and Blackjack
How Do I Know Online Casinos in India are Secure?
Now that you know that online gambling and online casino is legal in India, you might want to find out how you can find a casino site that is safe to play in our country? While it’s safe to say that online casinos are usually safe, there are still a few aspects that you need to take under consideration.
- The online casino should be licensed and regulated by trustworthy authorities. Preferably by the MGA.
- The online casino should be practising ethical functions and have legal casino operations.
- Best gambling sites have numerous game options. They offer sports betting and slot machines.
- They are verified by a prominent authority and follow given legislation in the country where they have a license.
- The online casino offers customer support around the clock in English.
- New players are offered welcome bonus packages. Regular players are also offered promotions.
- The online casino offers Indian rupees and e wallets for fast deposits and withdrawals.
Legal And Trustworthy Casino & Betting Sites
There are so many offshore online casinos that are fun and legal in India. They offer many kinds of gambling, from card games to slot machines, horse racing and even Teen Patti with real money! So if you’re looking for an online casino or gambling site to play at, that is trustworthy – we’ve done the research for you!
- LeoVegas: This online gambling site is from a Swedish company and offers online casino and sports betting services such as slots, horse racing, jackpot games and much more. Always mentioned among the best online gaming platforms.
- Betway: Betway is an online gambling site operated by a global company. They offer several sports and casino games through their subsidiaries such as Betway Casino, Betway Sportsbook, Betway Poker and Betway Bingo.
- Royal Panda: This online casino caters to those looking for a fun and safe online gambling experience. They aim to make all the players feel special. It is one of the easiest platforms to use for Indian players.
- Pure casino: A legal casino site has been made specifically for Indian players. Although it is completely Indian, the casino operates from Malta which is according to the law.
If somebody ever told you online gambling is illegal, tell them that they are wrong. While every market that is not regulated is considered to be a grey area, online gambling in India was never mentioned in the gambling act of 1867, and so it cannot be considered illegal until the states themselves ban online gaming.
The only exception (there are always exceptions) is the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, that actually banned online gambling in India. So if you’re currently a resident of those states, I’m sorry but you cannot gamble online in India.
I hope that this article had all the answers to your questions around the topic. If so, feel free to scroll among related posts or find a online casino that is not only legal but also extremely fun to play at in our list.
Always gamble responsibly and with funds that you can afford to lose.
Last updated January 15th, 2021